Welcome to the George Washington University! Please use the information below to get started with the technology at the University.
What to Do Before You Arrive
What Should You Bring?
Should I bring a laptop or a desktop?
Processor: Intel i5 or AMD Ryzen 5RAM: 8GBStorage: 256GB SSDOS: Windows 10 or macOS 10.14WiFi: 802.11AC with drivers for 802.11AX compatibilitySecurity: Bitlocker or FileVault2 recommended but not required
We also recommend that you check with your school for any additional specifications that may be required for your discipline.
Desktop vs. laptop is largely a matter of personal preference. Consider the following questions: Will you need the portability of a laptop, or do you prefer the cost advantage of purchasing a desktop? Laptops are portable and can ease the trip between residence hall room, library, classroom and home over break. Desktop computers tend to be less expensive than laptops and allow for increased expansion and upgrades. Regardless of what you choose, you will need to take some common-sense precautions to protect your investment. Laptop locks can be purchased from most electronics stores. Whether you have a desktop or a laptop, you should ALWAYS lock your door when you leave your room, and never walk away from your computer in a public place. Ultimately, the physical security of your computer and the security of your files and documents are your responsibility.
Is there wireless in residence hall rooms?
GW offers two types of wireless network to GW students.
- GWireless is a secure wireless network that uses an authentication method that works with computers, Apple iOS mobile devices and a variety of Android devices. GW community members may log into GWireless using their GW NetIDs (the GW NetID is the part of a GW email address before the “@” symbol) and the passwords that correspond to their NetIDs.
- GW is also pleased to offer to GW students the ability to connect certain models of gaming consoles and streaming devices to GWConnect network. GWConnect wireless network currently supports Roku, Apple TV, Playstation 4, XBox One, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Amazon Alexa Device, and Nintendo Switch. Use Martha Chat to connect your device(s). GW's knowledge base has details, or get more information.
- GW also offers students living in the residence hall with GWired, a high speed wired network connection. The ITSC Walk-Up Support can provide equipment to connect devices with an ethernet port to our wired dorm network. For ITSC Walk-Up Support contact info and office hours, please visit https://it.gwu.edu and click on support.
Is there network storage space for my documents?
GW offers GW Box, and Google Drive as backup and storage services for GW students.
- GW Box is the university's enterprise file sharing service for online cloud storage and collaboration and is free for GW students.
- Google Drive, Google's online storage service that allows for seamless storage and access to data between multiple devices, is also available as part of your GW email (GWMail) account.
- Please visit https://it.gwu.edu/backup-storage for more information.
Should I bring a cell phone?
Should I bring my TV, gaming console, or streaming device?
Can I set up a router?
Do I need a printer?
What are GW's policies regarding use of the network?
GW Network users agree to adhere to the GWired Code of Conduct as well as the Code of Conduct for Users of Computing Systems and Services at the George Washington University. Violation of either policy may result in judicial action and possible loss of your connection.
Other Items You May Want to Bring
What to Do When You Get Here
Get on the Network
Watch TV or learn something new
Download free software
Download University-provided software like Microsoft 365 and Symantec Endpoint Protection, available for free to members of the GW community
What to Do When You Need Help
Problem with your housing? Need routine and emergency maintenance, moving services, pest control, or HVAC repairs? Contact GW Housing for housing-related questions.
- Backup, Storage & Document Management
- Business Intelligence
- Email & Calendar
- Identity and Access Management
- Internet Access
- Research Technology Services
- Microsoft 365
- Web & Collaboration
801 22nd Street, NW B101
Washington, DC 20052