The objective of GW's business intelligence (BI) initiative is to work to get the right information to the right people at the right time and enable the effective use of information to support the academic and administrative initiatives necessary to drive the university forward.
By providing timely access to trusted information across functions and departments for actionable insight and fact-based decision making, the business intelligence initiative will help inform long-term planning and execution of the university strategy and support GW’s strategic goals of excellence in education, excellence in research and world-class service to all university stakeholders (students, faculty, alumni, parents, staff and community members). Timely access to trusted data will inform actionable decision making to improve alignment with university strategy, improve efficiencies and effectiveness, reduce operational costs, ensure regulatory compliance and minimize risk. The key to BI success at GW is achieving ease of use for widespread acceptance and end user self-service.
As part of the initiative we will:
- Leverage existing business intelligence capabilities and deliver new ones (descriptive, prescriptive and predictive tools and capabilities such as analytics, dashboards and alerts)
- Empower, train and support the power users with a standard tool set for "last-mile" reporting and analysis
- Govern BI capabilities and data, fostering user autonomy and self-service
- Provide, manage and maintain BI and data infrastructure
As part of our approach we will:
- Start with top-priority business needs
- Integrate and certify data into the University Data Warehouse (UDW)
- Provide BI capabilities and tools that can be accessed by consumers/decision makers and power users via web and mobile devices
- Leverage prototyping and an agile methodology for BI solutions development
- Provide standard BI tools and training to functional power users