If you are still using Windows 7, the date is fast approaching when Microsoft will no longer provide security updates. That date is January 14, 2020. The time to upgrade is now.
There is a way for you to handle this upgrade on your own. Here are the necessary steps.
Before you begin:
- Save your work and close all applications.
- Remove/disconnect all external storage (USB flash media, SD cards, etc.)
- You must be connected to the wired network
- You must be connected to the AC power source.
- Even though data will be migrated, we strongly recommend backing up your data before upgrading.
Now you're ready.
1) The Windows 10 upgrade is launched from the Software Center.
2) Click on Operating Systems.
3) Click on VDS-Upgrade Windows 10 Version 1809.
4) Click on "Install." This may take several hours and your computer will reboot several times throughout the process.
4) When the upgrade is complete, you will see a login screen.
Things you will notice following the upgrade:
- Microsoft Edge is set as the default web browser.
- Microsoft Edge is set as the default .pdf viewer.
- Desktop icons have been rearranged.
- The first time a Microsoft Office program is launched in Windows 10, the Office suite will reconfigure itself for the new operating system. This should complete automatically within a few minutes.
If you are experiencing issues or are seeing messages in Windows 10 that you do not understand, please contact the ITSC 202-994-GWIT (4948) or email [email protected].